Unfortunately, for many of us, we’ve been exposed to so many unhealthy relationships in our lives that we don’t know what a truly healthy relationship even looks and feels like. So here are 10 characteristics of a healthy relationship:
1. Both partners know that they are responsible for their own individual happiness.
2. Neither person is really trying to control or “fix” the other person.
3. The relationship is balanced.
4. Conflicts are dealt with head-on and then dropped.
5. Feelings are shared honestly and openly.
6. Each person makes time to take care of themselves.
7. Both partners are willing to put the relationship before themselves.
8. Both people understand and accept that they’re not going to agree on everything.
9. They both truly value the relationship.
10. They want to be together simply for the sake of being together.
Ask yourself: What characteristics on this list are you amazing at? What characteristics could you use some work on? Then work from that!